What are the best agricultural business ideas to start in Nigeria in 2019?
The Agricultural sector contributes just a little over 20% to the overall GDP of the country even though it can be much more. The agricultural sector is one of the most flourishing sectors of the Nigerian economy. With proper strategic planning, any individual having basic knowledge of farming and manufacturing operation can start a profitable agriculture business. You don’t need a huge capital or farmland to get into the agriculture business. If you have a little piece of land in your backyard, you can still plant some crops in small or vertical containers to get the most out of your space. In this post, we shared a list of most lucrative agricultural and farming business ideas that anyone in Nigeria can start in 2019.
- 1. Cassava Farming: With the increasingly diverse use of cassava products in Nigeria, cassava farming is getting more lucrative with every passing day. This farm product has always been a source of lively hood and food for millions of Nigerians. 90% of Nigerian households consume cassava products every day. Some of the popular meals made out of cassava are: Garri, wheat-flour, Animal feed, Commercial caramel, and a lot more. As the population of Nigeria and Africa as a whole continues to grow, the demand for cassava products will continue to skyrocket, leading to higher revenues generated by cassava farmers. If you’re looking for an agricultural business that would ensure you always almost sell out all your harvests, cassava farming is one great farming business to start.
- 2. Poultry Farming: Poultry farming is the process of raising domesticated birds such as chickens, ducks, turkeys, and geese for the purpose of farming meat or eggs for food. Poultry Farming in Nigeria is probably one of the most lucrative farming business you can do. The quick maturity of chicken presents one of the finest opportunity for entrepreneurs to make good money within the shortest period of time possible. With over 160 Million consumers in Nigeria alone, the market is always there waiting to be tapped. The demand for poultry products such as eggs is so high that people go about every day looking for where to get the supplies needed.
- 3. Rice Farming: Nigeria is the largest producer of rice in West Africa and the third in Africa after Egypt and Madagascar producing about 3.6 million metric tons on the average annually. Interestingly, Nigeria still falls short of meeting its local demand which is placed at about 5.5 million tons.Considering the fact that Nigeria has a huge market for rice, if you are looking for a lucrative agricultural business idea in Nigeria, you need to seriously consider entering the rice farming business which is undoubtedly one of the most profitable businesses in the Nigerian agricultural sector.
- 4. Snail Farming: Snail farming is considered to be one of the most lucrative agribusinesses you can start with low capital in Nigeria today. Yet, it is one of the most neglected animal rearing business in the country. Snail farming in Nigeria provides one of the finest opportunity to make money within a short period of time. Snail farming is a niche and unusual business type of business. It’s very expensive to buy snail to eat because snails are very dormant during the dry season, they become increasingly scarce during this period and the market is starved of adequate supply until the next wet season.
- 5. Catfish Farming: There are many kinds of fish growing in Nigeria, however, many people like catfish because its meat is juicy, soft and tasty. However, not everyone knows that this fish can be grown quite easily even at a small fish farm, you can even organize catfish farming at home. There’s a very high demand for catfishes all year round.